Samuel Andrew Gravitt1
M, #3483, b. 21 November 1869, d. 19 May 1956
Samuel Andrew Gravitt|b. 21 Nov 1869\nd. 19 May 1956|p3483.htm|James Henson Gravitt|b. 14 Jul 1834\nd. 8 Apr 1913|p3480.htm|Elizabeth Bell|b. 6 Nov 1839\nd. 29 Dec 1907|p3481.htm|Thomas J. Gravett|b. 15 Jul 1812\nd. 17 Aug 1890|p3548.htm|Mary E. Rison|b. c 1815\nd. b 1839|p3723.htm|Thomas B. Bell|b. 1813|p4068.htm|Elizabeth (Elisa) Hockersmith|b. 6 Sep 1816\nd. 3 Jan 1897|p6221.htm|
Relationship=Great-granduncle of Robert Lynn Adams.
Relationship=Granduncle of Ida Ione Ashby.
Last Edited=18 Nov 2008
Samuel Andrew Gravitt was born on 21 November 1869 at Batavia, Davis Co., Iowa.3,4,5 He was the son of James Henson Gravitt and Elizabeth Bell.2
Samuel Andrew Gravitt was enumerated with James Henson Gravitt as Samuel A. Gravitt on the Census of 19 August 1870 at Fabius Township, Davis Co., Iowa. He is age 1/12 and was born in Iowa.6
Samuel Andrew Gravitt was enumerated with James Henson Gravitt as Samuel Gravitt, son on the Census of 7 June 1880. He was shown as age 10, born in Iowa, can't read, and working on farm.7
Samuel Andrew Gravitt was enumerated with James Henson Gravitt as Samuel Gravitt on the Census of 1885 at Wyacondah Township, Davis Co., Iowa. He is shown as age 14 and born in Davis County, Iowa.8 Samuel Andrew Gravitt was enumerated as Samuel Gravitt on the Census at Vermillion Township, Appanoose Co., Iowa. He is age 25 and single. He was born in Davis County, Iowa. He is a Baptist. He is a day laborer and is subject to military service and is entitled to vote..9
Samuel A. Gravitt and Nettie L. Bloomfield obtained a marriage license on 4 November 1896 at Appanoose Co., Iowa. Reuben Bloomfield gave an affidavit supporting the granting of a marriage license.10,11
Samuel Andrew Gravitt and Nettie L. Bloomfield appeared on the census of 1 June 1900 at Centerville, Appanoose Co., Iowa.12
Samuel Andrew Gravitt is head of household on the Census of 16 June 1900 at Center Township, Ward 2, Centerville, Appanoose Co., Iowa, as S. A. Gravitt. His is listed as age 30 and born in Iowa in Nov. 1869. He has been married 4 years. He is a coalminer and owns the home which is mortgaged. He can read and write.. Also enumerated were Nettie L. Bloomfield and Cecil Gravitt.13
Samuel Andrew Gravitt and Nettie L. Gravitt appeared on the 1905 Iowa State Census of Centerville, Appanoose Co., Iowa, at 702 W. Maple, enumerated 1905. Their children Cecil, Ruby and Eva B. were listed as living with them.14
Samuel Andrew Gravitt lived in Centerville, Appanoose Co., Iowa, on 30 December 1907.15 He and Nettie L. Bloomfield were listed as parents of Ruby, Lawrence, and Vera on 1 June 1920.16
Samuel Andrew Gravitt was Highway road worker on 1 June 1920 at Appanoose Co., Iowa.16 Samuel Andrew was on the Census of 1 June 1920. The 1920 Census shows his father as born in KY. ; his mother in Oregon.16
Samuel Andrew Gravitt was listed as the head of household as Sam Gravitt on the 1930 Census recorded 19 April 1930 at Rockford, Winnebago Co., Illinois. The official date of this census was 1 Apr 1930. He is listed as a married, white male, age 60. He was married at age 26. He was born in Iowa. His father was born in Kentucky; his mother in Missouri. He can read and write. He is a watchman in a machine shop. He is not a veteran. Also living in the household were his wife, Nettie L. Gravitt , his mother-in-law, Elizabeth Bloomfield.17
Samuel Andrew Gravitt died on 19 May 1956 at Altona, Knox Co., Illinois, at age 86 years, 5 months and 28 days.3,4 He was buried at Victoria, Knox Co., Illinois.18
Children of Samuel Andrew Gravitt and Nettie L. Bloomfield
- [S87] Elaine Bukove, "Gravitt Descendents", page 3.
- [S2] Interview, Ida Ione Ashby Adams, 1996.
- [S79] Unknown author, GENDEX Web Page of John Banes.
- [S355] James M. Gravitt, "Gravitt Family", SAMUEL ANDREW BORN 11/221/1869 DIED 05/19/1956.
- [S17] 1900 US Census Population Schedule, Appanoose Co., IA, Entry 692/712 born Nov 1869.
- [S40] 1870 US Census Population Schedule, Davis Co., IA, Page 11 (Stamped page 47), Dwelling Number 82, Family Number 83, starting on line 1.
- [S37] 1880 US Census Population Schedule, Davis Co., IA, Microcopy No. T-9, Roll No. 336. Enumeration District 52, Page 11, Line 102, Family Number 104.
- [S144] 1885 Iowa State Census of Davis County, Iowa, Dwelling 15, Family 15, Township 67, Range 14, Section 7 NWNE.
- [S540] 1895 Iowa State Census of Appanoose County, Stamped Page # 767; Dwelling and Family # 146, Lines 1 - 5.
- [S451] Marriage Certificate of Samuel A. Gravitt and Nettie L. Bloomfield.
- [S35] Appanoose Co., IA Marriages, Book 13, Page 27.
- [S17] 1900 US Census Population Schedule, Appanoose Co., IA, Entry 692/712.
- [S189] Appanoose County Iowa, Family Quest Archives, Heritage Quest Digital Microfile T623\416\PART2\252B; Enumeration District 27 Sheet 31(Stamped B); Location 692/712.
- [S669] S. A. Gravitt household, 1905 Iowa Census, Appanoose, Iowa population schedule.
- [S421] Obituary of Elizabeth Bell Gravitt, 30 Dec 1907.
- [S1] 1920 US Census Population Schedule, Appanoose Co., IA, Entry 27/27.
- [S339] 1930 US Census Population Schedule, Winnebago Co., Illinois, Rockford Township, Winnebago Co., Illinois, Enumeration District 101-61, Sheet No. 19B, Dwelling No. 461, Family No. 462, Lines 71-75.
- [S75] Elaine Bukove, Email from Elaine Bukove to Robert L. Adams.
- [S608] Appanoose Co., Iowa Death Books, 1906 - 1918, Page 90, Registrar's No. 99.