F, #3481, b. 6 November 1839, d. 29 December 1907
Elizabeth Bell|b. 6 Nov 1839\nd. 29 Dec 1907|p3481.htm|Thomas B. Bell|b. 1813|p4068.htm|Elizabeth (Elisa) Hockersmith|b. 6 Sep 1816\nd. 3 Jan 1897|p6221.htm|||||||Jacob Hockersmith , Jr.|b. 24 Jun 1779\nd. 28 Nov 1839|p6029.htm|Anna K. Skinner|b. 16 Apr 1785\nd. 16 Aug 1836|p6030.htm|
Relationship=2nd great-grandmother of Robert Lynn Adams.
Relationship=Great-grandmother of Ida Ione Ashby.
Last Edited=24 Dec 2009
Elizabeth Bell was born on 6 November 1839 at Scott Co., Missouri.3,4,5,6,7 She was the daughter of Thomas B. Bell and Elizabeth (Elisa) Hockersmith.1,2
Elizabeth Bell Gravitt
Photo courtesy of cousin Lorraine Boling
Photo courtesy of cousin Lorraine Boling
Elizabeth Bell was enumerated with Thomas B. Bell as Elizabeth Bell on the Census of 28 September 1850 at District 13, Wapello Co., Iowa. She was shown as age 12 and born in Missouri.2
Elizabeth Bell married James Henson Gravitt, son of Thomas J. Gravett and Mary Ellen Rison, on 15 August 1855 at Davis Co., Iowa, when she was 15.8
Elizabeth Gravitt was enumerated with James Henson Gravitt as Elisabeth Gravett on the Census of June 1856 at Fabius Township, Davis Co., Iowa. She is listed as age 16 and born in Missouri.9
Elizabeth Gravitt was enumerated with James Henson Gravitt as Elizabeth Gravitt on the Census of 5 July 1860 at Fabius Township, Davis Co., Iowa. She is age 21 and was born in Missouri and she cannot read.10
Elizabeth Gravitt was enumerated with James Henson Gravitt as Elizabeth Gravitt on the Census of 19 August 1870 at Fabius Township, Davis Co., Iowa. She is age 32 and was born in Missouri. She is keeping house. She cannot write.11
Elizabeth Gravitt was enumerated with James Henson Gravitt as Elizabeth Gravitt, wife on the Census of 7 June 1880. She was shown as age 44, born in Missouri, and as keeping house.12
Elizabeth Gravitt was enumerated with James Henson Gravitt as Elizabeth Gravitt on the Census of 1885 at Wyacondah Township, Davis Co., Iowa. She is shown as age 48, keeping house, and born in Missouri. Both her parents were native born.13 Elizabeth Bell was enumerated as Elizabeth Gravitt on the Census at Vermillion Township, Appanoose Co., Iowa. She is age 56 and was born in Missouri. She is a Baptist..14
Elizabeth Gravitt was enumerated with James Henson Gravitt as Belle Gravitt on the Census of 15 June 1900. She is listed as wife, white female, age 62 and born in Missouri in Nov. 1837. She has been married 44 years and is the mother of 14 children of whom 10 are still living. Both her parents were born in Kentucky. She can read and write..15
Elizabeth Gravitt and James Henson Gravitt appeared on the 1905 Iowa State Census of Centerville, Appanoose Co., Iowa, at 117 S. 7th, enumerated 1905. Their children Belle Myra and Henry Irvin were listed as living with them.16
Elizabeth Gravitt died on 29 December 1907 at Centerville, Appanoose Co., Iowa, at age 68 years, 1 month and 23 days. She died at her home in the Wentworth addition following an illness with stomach and heart troubles of a year and three months duration.3,17,6,7,5 She was buried 30 December 1907 IOOF Cemetery, Bloomfield, Davis Co., Iowa, 40.7611326~-92.4099073, To see others buried at the same cemetery, go to the preceeding link for IOOF Bloomfield *Cemetery3,4,6
On 30 December 1907 at Centerville, Appanoose Co., Iowa, Samuel Andrew Gravitt, Henry Irvin Gravitt and James Bell Gravitt was/were named as Elizabeth Gravitt's son in Elizabeth's obituary. Belle Myra Gravitt, Melissa Ann Ashby, Virginia Rosealind Goode, Nannie Stogdill, Sadie McClain and Anna Chandler was/were named as Elizabeth Gravitt's daughter in Elizabeth's obituary. She was the mother of fourteen children, ten of whom are still living.3,17
Children of Elizabeth Bell and James Henson Gravitt
- Melissa Ann Gravitt+18,19,6 b. 18 Feb 1856, d. 23 Aug 1913
- Mary E. Gravitt6 b. 21 Nov 1858, d. 27 Feb 1863
- Sarah Frances Gravitt+ b. 8 Sep 1860, d. 17 Jun 1931
- William T. Gravitt6 b. 13 Oct 1862, d. 31 Dec 1876
- James Bell Gravitt+20,21,6 b. 4 Aug 1864, d. 20 Mar 1941
- Martha E. Gravitt6 b. 31 Oct 1866, d. 6 Oct 1867
- Nancy Elizabeth Gravitt+6 b. 2 Jul 1868, d. 28 Mar 1956
- Samuel Andrew Gravitt+19 b. 21 Nov 1869, d. 19 May 1956
- Virginia Rosealind Gravitt+19,22 b. 13 Sep 1871, d. 30 Jul 1962
- Angeline Cordelia Gravitt+22,23 b. 28 Feb 1873
- Mina Lucinda Gravitt b. 14 Feb 1875, d. 12 Feb 1923
- Albert N. Gravitt22 b. 21 Jun 1876, d. 20 Aug 1890
- Belle Myra Gravitt+19,22 b. 31 Dec 1879, d. 20 Aug 1963
- Henry Irvin Gravitt b. 14 Sep 1883, d. 7 Apr 1917
- [S583] Elizabeth Gravitt, Gravitt, Elizabeth DC, Father - Thomas Bell Birthplace - Ireland.
- [S129] 1850 US Census Population Schedule, Wapello Co., IA, District 13, Page 431, entry 442.
- [S583] Elizabeth Gravitt, Gravitt, Elizabeth DC.
- [S75] Elaine Bukove, Email from Elaine Bukove to Robert L. Adams.
- [S79] Unknown author, GENDEX Web Page of John Banes.
- [S87] Elaine Bukove, "Gravitt Descendents", page 3.
- [S397] Vera L. McMains, "Gravitt Family Data", Ancestral File.
- [S179] Marriage Certificate of James and Belle Gravitt.
- [S143] 1850 State Census of Davis County, Iowa, Page 1006; Dwelling No. 97, Family No. 97.
- [S39] 1860 US Census Population Schedule, Davis Co., IA, Monterey Post Office, Dwelling Number 753, Family Number 714.
- [S40] 1870 US Census Population Schedule, Davis Co., IA, Page 11 (Stamped page 47), Dwelling Number 82, Family Number 83, starting on line 1.
- [S37] 1880 US Census Population Schedule, Davis Co., IA, Microcopy No. T-9, Roll No. 336. Enumeration District 52, Page 11, Line 102, Family Number 104.
- [S144] 1885 Iowa State Census of Davis County, Iowa, Dwelling 15, Family 15, Township 67, Range 14, Section 7 NWNE
The census data for listed for Elizabeth Gravitt is actually the data for Sarah Frances Gravitt. The census data for listed for Sarah Frances Gravitt is actually the data for Elizabeth Gravitt.
- [S540] 1895 Iowa State Census of Appanoose County, Stamped Page # 767; Dwelling and Family # 146, Lines 1 - 5.
- [S189] Appanoose County Iowa, Family Quest Archives, Heritage Quest Digital Microfile T623\416\PART2\251B; Enumeration District 27 Sheet 30(Stamped B); Location 672/692.
- [S668] James H. Gravitt household, 1905 Iowa Census, Appanoose, Iowa population schedule.
- [S421] Obituary of Elizabeth Bell Gravitt, 30 Dec 1907.
- [S604] Appanoose Co., Iowa Death Books, 1906 - 1912.
- [S2] Interview, Ida Ione Ashby Adams, 1996.
- [S19] 1910 US Census Population Schedule, Appanoose Co., IA.
- [S37] 1880 US Census Population Schedule, Davis Co., IA, ED 52, Page 11.
- [S87] Elaine Bukove, "Gravitt Descendents", page 4.
- [S735] 1925 Van Buren Co., IA State Census, W. H. Channel household.