Melissa Ann Gravitt
F, #3420, b. 18 February 1856, d. 23 August 1913
Melissa Ann Gravitt|b. 18 Feb 1856\nd. 23 Aug 1913|p3420.htm|James Henson Gravitt|b. 14 Jul 1834\nd. 8 Apr 1913|p3480.htm|Elizabeth Bell|b. 6 Nov 1839\nd. 29 Dec 1907|p3481.htm|Thomas J. Gravett|b. 15 Jul 1812\nd. 17 Aug 1890|p3548.htm|Mary E. Rison|b. c 1815\nd. b 1839|p3723.htm|Thomas B. Bell|b. 1813|p4068.htm|Elizabeth (Elisa) Hockersmith|b. 6 Sep 1816\nd. 3 Jan 1897|p6221.htm|
Relationship=Great-grandmother of Robert Lynn Adams.
Relationship=Grandmother of Ida Ione Ashby.
Last Edited=17 Jun 2009
Melissa Ann Gravitt was born on 18 February 1856 at Iowa.5,6 She was the daughter of James Henson Gravitt and Elizabeth Bell.1,2,3,4
Melissa Ann Gravitt Ashby
Melissa Ann Gravitt was enumerated with James Henson Gravitt as Melissa A. Gravitt on the Census of 5 July 1860 at Fabius Township, Davis Co., Iowa. She is age 3 and was born in Iowa.7
Melissa Ann Gravitt was enumerated with James Henson Gravitt as Melissa A. Gravitt on the Census of 19 August 1870 at Fabius Township, Davis Co., Iowa. She is age 13 and was born in Iowa. She is attending school.8
Melissa Ann Gravitt married George Washington Ashby, son of Richard Washington Ashby and America Lane, on 26 May 1875 at Davis Co., Iowa, when she was 19 at the home of Eli D. Powers.9,10,11
Melissa Ann Ashby was enumerated with George Washington Ashby as Melissa Ashby on the Census of 7 June 1880 at Wyacondah Township, Davis Co., Iowa. She was shown as age 29, born in Iowa, and "keeping house." Her father was born in KY, her mother in MO..12
Melissa Ann Ashby and George Washington Ashby appeared on the 1895 Iowa State Census of Appanoose Co., Iowa, at Vermillion Township, enumerated 1895. George was entitled to vote and was subject to military service.. Their children George William, Emery Emmet, Clyde Hinson, Alice O., Howard Ray and Grover Everett were listed as living with them.13
Melissa Ann Gravitt was Baptist.13
Melissa Ann Ashby was enumerated with George Washington Ashby as Melissa Ashby on the Census of 22 June 1900. She was shown as wife, a white female, age 43 and born in Iowa in Feb. 1857. She had been married 27 years and was the mother of 8 children of whom 7 were still living. She could read and write..14
Melissa Ann Ashby lived in Centerville, Appanoose Co., Iowa, on 30 December 1907.15
Melissa Ann Ashby was enumerated with George Washington Ashby as Melissa Ashby, wife on the Census of 20 April 1910 at Center Township, 1st Ward, Centerville, Appanoose Co., Iowa. She is shown as a white female, age 53. She was born in Iowa. Her father was born in Kentucky, her mother in Missouri. She has been married once, for 35 years. Readability is questionable but it appears to report she has had 6 children. Five children are still living. She can read and write..16
Melissa Ann Ashby died on 23 August 1913 at Centerville, Appanoose Co., Iowa, at age 57 years, 6 months and 5 days. Cause of death - cholelithiasis.5,17,18
I walked Wright-Thomasson Cemetery on 28 Aug 2008 and did not find a readable marker for Melissa Ann Ashby.19 She was buried 24 August 1913 Thomasson Cemetery, Appanoose Co., Iowa, 40.7108469~-92.9015888, To see others buried at the same cemetery, go to the preceeding link for Thomassan *Cemetery.17,20,5
On 23 August 1913 at Centerville, Appanoose Co., Iowa, George Washington Ashby was named as Melissa Ann Gravitt's husband in Melissa Ann's obituary. She had been ill with gall stones for three weeks before her death.17
Children of Melissa Ann Gravitt and George Washington Ashby
- Ida May Ashby+ b. 10 May 1876, d. 6 Sep 1968
- George William Ashby+ b. 21 Nov 1877, d. 6 Oct 1952
- James R. Ashby21 b. 9 Nov 1880, d. 17 Nov 1881
- Emery Emmet Ashby+22,3 b. 17 Mar 1882, d. 10 Nov 1928
- Clyde Hinson Ashby+23,22,3 b. 28 Oct 1884, d. 12 Sep 1919
- Alice O. Ashby+24,25 b. 4 Nov 1886, d. 21 Dec 1963
- Howard Ray Ashby+26,3,27 b. 12 Apr 1890, d. 22 Jan 1967
- Grover Everett Ashby+26,3 b. 19 Nov 1894, d. 17 Jan 1979
- [S604] Appanoose Co., Iowa Death Books, 1906 - 1912.
- [S2] Interview, Ida Ione Ashby Adams, 1996.
- [S19] 1910 US Census Population Schedule, Appanoose Co., IA.
- [S87] Elaine Bukove, "Gravitt Descendents", page 3.
- [S604] Appanoose Co., Iowa Death Books, 1906 - 1912, Page 200, Register's No. 32.
- [S221] Bertine - Harper Web Site, no longer available online, Cited Appanoose County, Iowa Death Records, Book 3, Page 200.
- [S39] 1860 US Census Population Schedule, Davis Co., IA, Monterey Post Office, Dwelling Number 753, Family Number 714.
- [S40] 1870 US Census Population Schedule, Davis Co., IA, Page 11 (Stamped page 47), Dwelling Number 82, Family Number 83, starting on line 1.
- [S175] Marriage of George & Melissa ASHBY: Wm. Gravitt testified as to their competent age and condition. The Certificate of Marriage was returned and filed on 19 June 1875.
- [S19] 1910 US Census Population Schedule, Appanoose Co., IA, ED 14, Page 97, sheet 8A. Married for 35 years. Second marriage for George; first marriage for Mellisa.
- [S87] Elaine Bukove, "Gravitt Descendents", Page 7.
- [S37] 1880 US Census Population Schedule, Davis Co., IA, Microcopy No. T-9, Roll No. 336, Enumeration District 52, Page 11, Family Number 105.
- [S670] George W. Ashby household, 1895 Iowa Census, Appanoose, Iowa population schedule, Vermilion.
- [S189] Appanoose County Iowa, Family Quest Archives, Heritage Quest Digital Microfile T623\416\PART2\125A; Enumeration District 20 Sheet 13(Stamped 125A); Location 254/254.
- [S421] Obituary of Elizabeth Bell Gravitt, 30 Dec 1907.
- [S190] Appanoose County Iowa, Family Quest Archives, Heritage Quest Digital Microfile T624\390\PART3\97A; Enumeration District 14 Sheet 8A(Stamped 97).
- [S418] Obituary of Melissa Ashby, 23 Aug 1913.
- [S397] Vera L. McMains, "Gravitt Family Data", Ancestral File.
- [S11] Personal Knowledge of Robert Lynn Adams.
- [S221] Bertine - Harper Web Site, no longer available online.
- [S173] Ashby Genforum, online http://genforum.genealogy.com/ashby, Message 989, posted by Ruthie D on 12 July 2000.
- [S17] 1900 US Census Population Schedule, Appanoose Co., IA.
- [S610] Appanoose Co., Iowa Death Books, 1920, Page 4, Registrar's No. 45.
- [S436] Marriage Certificate of Dessie Ashby and Thomas G. Manson.
- [S422] Obituary of Alice Ashby Manson, 23 Dec 1963.
- [S17] 1900 US Census Population Schedule, Appanoose Co., IA, Entry 254/254.
- [S222] Obituary of Howard Ashby, Jan. 24, 1967.