Howard Ray Ashby
M, #17, b. 12 April 1890, d. 22 January 1967
Howard Ray Ashby|b. 12 Apr 1890\nd. 22 Jan 1967|p17.htm|George Washington Ashby|b. 2 Aug 1853\nd. 18 Feb 1929|p3419.htm|Melissa Ann Gravitt|b. 18 Feb 1856\nd. 23 Aug 1913|p3420.htm|Richard W. Ashby|b. 16 Mar 1827\nd. 5 Apr 1903|p3678.htm|America Lane|b. 24 Apr 1831\nd. 1 Jul 1920|p3679.htm|James H. Gravitt|b. 14 Jul 1834\nd. 8 Apr 1913|p3480.htm|Elizabeth Bell|b. 6 Nov 1839\nd. 29 Dec 1907|p3481.htm|
Relationship=Grandfather of Robert Lynn Adams.
Relationship=Father of Ida Ione Ashby.
Last Edited=17 Jun 2009
Howard Ray Ashby was born on 12 April 1890 at Iconium, Appanoose Co., Iowa.4,5,6,7,2,8,9 He was the son of George Washington Ashby and Melissa Ann Gravitt.1,2,3
Howard Ray Ashby
Howard Ray Ashby was enumerated with George Washington Ashby as Howard G. Ashby on the Census of 22 June 1900. He is listed as a son, age 10 and born in Iowa in Apr. 1890. He has attended school 6 years and can read and write..10
Howard Ray Ashby was enumerated with George Washington Ashby as Howard Ashby, son on the Census of 20 April 1910 at Center Township, 1st Ward, Centerville, Appanoose Co., Iowa. He is age 20, single and born in Iowa. He is a farm laborer. He can read and write..11
Howard Ray Ashby married Fanny Heavlin, daughter of Elvin Richard Bills and Deborah Fowler, on 26 June 1913 at Lancaster, Schuyler Co., Missouri, when he was 23.12,13
Georgia Naomi Ashby, the daughter of Howard Ray Ashby and Fannie Ashby was born 14 August 1914 at Centerville, Appanoose Co., Iowa.
Due to a need for men to serve during World War I, the United States instituted a draft. The first registration was for men between the ages of 21 and 31. As a result, this first registration included men born between June 5, 1886 and June 5, 1896. Howard Ray Ashby filled out a registration card on 5 June 1917 in Centerville, Appanoose Co., Iowa. He was of medium height and slender build. His eyes were blue; his hair light brown. He had no previous military service.14
Howard Ray Ashby is head of household on the Census of 15 June 1920 at Center Township, Ward 3, Centerville, Appanoose Co., Iowa, as Howard R. Ashby. He was shown as age 29 and born in Iowa. He rents the home. He could read and write. He was a miner in a coal mine. Also enumerated were Fannie Bills, Georgia Naomi Ashby, Joe Lazelle Ashby, Mildred Charlene Ashby and Ada Frances Heavlin.15
Howard Ray Ashby and Fannie Ashby appeared on the 1925 Iowa State Census of Appanoose Co., Iowa, enumerated 1925. They owned the home which was valued at $1400. They had both completed the 6th grade.. Their children Georgia Naomi, Joe Lazelle, Mildred Charlene and Ida Ione were listed as living with them. Ada Ashby, listed as a step-daughter, was also living with them.16
Howard Ray Ashby lived in Appanoose Co., Iowa, on 18 February 1929.17
His Social Security Number was 484-05-6638.9
Howard Ray Ashby was a retired railroad employee.18
Howard Ray Ashby was a member of Calvary Baptist Church.8
Howard Ray Ashby died on 22 January 1967 at Embassy Manor, Newton, Jasper Co., Iowa, at age 76 years, 9 months and 10 days. He had been in failing health for 21 years.19,2,20,9
Fannie Ashby was named as Howard Ray Ashby's wife in Howard Ray's obituary. George Washington Ashby was named as Howard Ray Ashby's father in Howard Ray's obituary. Melissa Ann Ashby was named as Howard Ray Ashby's mother in Howard Ray's obituary. Grover Everett Ashby was/were named as Howard Ray Ashby's brother in Howard Ray's obituary. Ida May Lee was/were named as Howard Ray Ashby's sister in Howard Ray's obituary. Joe Lazelle Ashby was/were named as Howard Ray Ashby's son in Howard Ray's obituary. Georgia Smithers, Mildred Spillman, Ida Ione Adams, Betty Tieszen and Ada Sens was/were named as Howard Ray Ashby's daughter in Howard Ray's obituary.2 (Link to Find A Grave Memorial for Howard Ray Ashby.) He was buried 25 January 1967 Mt. Ararat Cemetary, Appanoose Co., Iowa, 40.7400162~-92.7688062, To see others buried at the same cemetery, go to the preceeding link for Mt. Ararat *Cemetery2,8,21
Children of Howard Ray Ashby and Fannie Bills
- [S17] 1900 US Census Population Schedule, Appanoose Co., IA, Entry 254/254.
- [S222] Obituary of Howard Ashby, Jan. 24, 1967.
- [S19] 1910 US Census Population Schedule, Appanoose Co., IA.
- [S253] Howard Ray Ashby entry, Birth Certificate, Book 2, #3112.
- [S670] George W. Ashby household, 1895 Iowa Census, Appanoose, Iowa population schedule, Vermilion, Howard R.Ashby; age 4; and, born in Appanoose, IA.
- [S462] Record for Howard Ray Ashby shows place of birth as Walnut City, Iowa. "WWI Draft Registrations," http://www.ancestry.com
- [S283] Ancestry.com, http://www.ancestry.com, World War I Selective Service System Draft Registration Cards, 1917-18 [database online] Provo, UT: Ancestry.com, 2002. National Archives and Records Administration. World War I Selective Service System Draft Registration Cards, 1917-1918. M1509, 4,277 rolls. Washington, D.C.: National Archives and Records Administration.
- [S420] Obituary of Howard Ray Ashby, 24 Jan 1967.
- [S470] SSDI, Rootsweb online. (HOWARD ASHBY, SSN 484-05-6638, issued in the State of Iowa, birth listed as 12 Apr 1890, death listed as Jan 1967. Last residence 50208 (Newton, Jasper, IA), last benefit (none specified). Accessed by Robert L. Adams on 29 Apr 2006.).
- [S189] Appanoose County Iowa, Family Quest Archives, Heritage Quest Digital Microfile T623\416\PART2\125A; Enumeration District 20 Sheet 13(Stamped 125A); Location 254/254.
- [S190] Appanoose County Iowa, Family Quest Archives, Heritage Quest Digital Microfile T624\390\PART3\97A; Enumeration District 14 Sheet 8A(Stamped 97).
- [S201] Marriage Certificate of Howard and Fannie Ashby: The License was issued, the marriage was performed by a minister, and the Marriage Certificate were all filed on 26 June 1913.
- [S699] Marriage Register of Howard and Fannie Ashby: Name: Howard Ashby Age: 23 Birth Date: abt 1890
Marriage Date: 26 Jun 1913 Marriage Location: Schuyler County, MO Marriage County: Schuyler
Spouse Name: Fannie Heavlin Spouse Age: 18 Spouse Birth Date: abt 1895.
- [S462] Record for Howard Ray Ashby. "WWI Draft Registrations," http://www.ancestry.com
- [S187] Appanoose County Iowa, Family Quest Archives, CD-ROM image 125B; page 125B, house 263, family 239.
- [S662] H. R. Ashby household, 1925 Iowa Census, Appanoose, Iowa population schedule.
- [S417] Obituary of George W. Ashby, 18 Feb 1929.
- [S420] Obituary of Howard Ray Ashby, 24 Jan 1967, He was a retired railroad employee.
- [S420] Obituary of Howard Ray Ashby, 24 Jan 1967, He had been in failing health for 21 years.
- [S2] Interview, Ida Ione Ashby Adams, 1996.
- [S18] Appanoose Couty Genealogy Society, Appanoose County Iowa Cemeteries.